Members of CFG can access exclusive free initial advice through the CFG helplines
Do you need guidance with any of the following issues? The free CFG Helplines service may be able to help.
- Advice on accounting and auditing best practice;
- Guidance on tax and VAT issues;
- Help with general legal issues;
- Guidance on employment and HR matters;
- Help with property disputes;
- Advice and support related to pensions;
- Guidance on issues surrounding insolvency.
The CFG Helplines service enables members to access free initial guidance on a range of subject areas. Each helpline is supported by a Provider with considerable experience advising the charity and not-for-profit sectors.
Please click on the links above for the contact details of each Helpline. You need to log in to your CFG member account to access all helplines except Insolvency and Property.
Contact our membership team for further details on how to become a CFG member and access these benefits.
Points to note:
- The Helplines are open to take calls between 9:30am and 5pm, Monday - Friday (except public and bank holidays). Please note that an immediate response cannot be guaranteed.
- The purpose of each Helpline is to give initial guidance only and is not a substitute for paid professional advice.
For further queries about the Helplines, please contact us on 0845 345 3192.
Providers: PwC and MHA MacIntyre Hudson
The Insolvency helpline provides free, specialist support for voluntary and community organisations in financial crisis. CFG, in partnership with NCVO and insolvency experts MHA MacIntyre Hudson and PwC, offer support to organisations that need it.
Many voluntary and community organisations are struggling financially at the moment, and if you’re one of them, you should get the right support as soon as possible. Seeking early expert advice combined with determination can avoid closure.
If you are experiencing the following, it may be time to seek specialist advice:
- Mounting debts;
- Less cash flow;
- Rising income gaps;
- Worries that you cannot keep doing more with less.
Opening times: 9:30am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday (excluding bank and public holidays)
Tel: 020 7212 6023
MHA MacIntyre Hudson
Tel: 020 7429 0500
back to top
Provider: Charity Property Help
The Property helpline is run by Charity Property Help; a pro bono initiative run by Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, CFG and NCVO. The helpline aims to give free initial guidance to your property queries. The helpline can assist you with the following issues:
- Disputes with builders;
- Repair disputes;
- Landlord and tenant disputes;
- Project management;
- Planning issues;
- Property maintenance; and
- Property strategy.
Opening hours: 9:30am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday (excluding bank and public holidays)
Tel: 024 7686 8555
back to top
1. The helplines are free telephone and email services provided by the Charity Finance Group (“CFG”) and the helpline Providers (see “Appendix A”) to assist CFG members (“the User”). The Legal Helplines (General and HR & Employment) are only available to CFG members for queries concerning the law of England and Wales.
2. Helplines are open to take calls between 9.30am and 5.00pm on all weekdays, except bank and public holidays though an immediate response cannot always be guaranteed. The duration of each call or time available to review or comment on emails is limited to 30 minutes for all helplines except the Employment and HR helpline which is limited to 20 minutes.
3. The purpose of the helplines is to give general assistance based only on the background information that you provide during a call or in an email, to help you to identify areas where further work or professional advice may be required.
4. Helplines do not provide specific professional advice and should not be relied upon as a substitute for formal professional advice given in the context of full information (including documentation) provided by you in a properly defined engagement.
5. Where formal professional advice is required, the User may be referred to a paid service at a Provider’s firm, but you are under no obligation to use the Provider for further assistance or services.
6. Helplines are provided on the basis that usage will be fair and reasonable. CFG and the Providers may limit or withdraw use of the helpline(s) at their discretion at any time without notice, for example if an excessive number of calls are made by a particular CFG member.
7. CFG and the Provider will use their reasonable endeavours to assist you during any call, but they do not assume a duty of care towards you in relation to any call and no client relationship between you and Provider will be established by virtue of any call.
8. CFG and the Providers shall use reasonable care and skill in relation to each helpline, but you should not rely on the assistance given as a substitute for specific professional advice based on a full understanding of the facts, issues and circumstances involved. Neither CFG nor the Providers warrant or represent that assistance provided via each helpline will be comprehensive or complete.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY – YOUR ATTENTION IS PARTICULARLY DRAWN TO THESE CLAUSES
10. Except in relation to liability for death or personal injury or fraud, for which no limit applies, the liability of CFG and/or the Providers for direct loss arising out of the use of the telephone helpline, whether based in contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, is excluded in its entirety.
11. Subject to clause 12, in no event shall CFG or the Providers be liable for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages arising out of or in any way connected with the use of the helpline or with the delay or inability to use it whether based in contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, even if CFG or the Providers have been advised of the possibility of damages. In particular neither CFG nor the Providers shall be liable for:
a. loss of profits; or
b. loss of business; or
c. depletion of goodwill and/or similar losses; or
d. loss of anticipated savings; or
e. loss of goods; or
f. loss of contract; or
g. loss of use; or
h. loss of corruption of data or information;
i. any special, indirect, consequential or pure economic loss, costs, damages, charges or expenses.
Appendix A: List of Providers of CFG Helplines
Accounting and Tax – Crowe Clark Whitehill;
Insolvency – PwC and MHA Macintyre Hudson;
Legal: General Advice - Russell-Cooke;
Legal: HR and Employment – Hempsons Solicitors;
Pensions: General Advice - Second Sight
Property – Charity Property Help run by Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors.
back to top